Friday, 14 June 2024
Planting wheat in Konya

Planting wheat in Konya

In 'the granary of Turkey' Konya Plain, the new season starts with intensive wheat planting, as 2.5 million tons of cereal yield was obtained during the harvest season.

 

Selçuk University Faculty of Agriculture Professor Dr. Süleyman Soylu stated that farmers have positively welcomed the new procurement policy of the Turkish Grain Board (TMO), "Our farmers were very satisfied with the wheat and barley harvest this year. This situation is also reflected in the planting season. We can say that there is a high demand for wheat and barley planting these days."

 

In the Konya Plain, which has a planting area of 2.2 million hectares, 2.5 million tons of wheat were produced during the productive cereal season. In addition, a yield of 3 million tons was obtained on an area of more than 1.7 million hectares in grain corn.

 

Selçuk University Faculty of Agriculture Professor Dr. Süleyman Soylu stated that Konya Plain farmers have focused on wheat and barley planting this season, based on last season's yield and the Turkish Grain Board's new procurement policy. "The Konya Plain is the most important production region for wheat and barley in our country. Wheat is planted in an area of approximately 700,000 hectares and barley is planted in an area of 350-400,000 hectares in our region. This corresponds to 10% of the country's planting areas. Last year, we had a good season for wheat and barley. Our farmers also responded very positively to the new procurement policy applied by the Turkish Grain Board. They were very satisfied with the wheat and barley this year as well. This situation is also reflected in the planting season. We can say that there is a high demand for wheat and barley planting these days. We can say that there is quite an interest in wheat, especially as its yield has become more favorable compared to other crops, it is easier to produce, and government supports are more focused on wheat. In our estimation, we expect an increase in wheat and barley planting areas compared to last year. The most important thing in wheat and barley planting is the state of precipitation and healthy emergence. In particular, wheat farming is done through irrigation on 30% of the area in our region, and dry farming is done on the remaining 70%," he said.