Konya-Style Arabaşı Soup
"Arabaşı Soup," a unique flavor specific to Konya
province in Turkey, has been garnering interest from people recently. How is
Arabaşı soup made in the Konya style?
"Arabaşı soup" is one of the special flavors of
Turkish cuisine, and it offers a hearty and delicious option with its
traditional recipe based on meat and flour.
Here are the ingredients and tips for making Arabaşı Soup:
- 250 grams of lamb meat
- 1 cup of fine bulgur
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 onion (grated)
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 8 cups of water
Here's how to make Arabaşı Soup:
- First, in a pot, add the lamb meat and water. Boil the meat
until it's fully cooked, skimming off any foam that forms on the surface.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the drained bulgur to the pot
and stir. Continue to simmer until the bulgur has absorbed the liquid and
- In a separate pan, melt the butter and add the flour. Cook
the flour over low heat until it loses its raw smell.
- Add the grated onion and tomato paste to the flour mixture
and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Pour this prepared mixture into the boiling meat and bulgur
- Add salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, then stir.
Keep the heat on low.
- Arabaşı soup is ready when the flour mixture is fully
cooked, and the bulgur is completely soft and tender. This may take about 45
- Before serving, check the consistency of the soup. If
needed, you can add hot water to adjust the thickness.
Enjoy your homemade Arabaşı Soup!