Monday, 30 January 2023
Çeltik: The Memory of Polathisar and Sarıkaya Oyla Caves Remaining Vivid

Çeltik: The Memory of Polathisar and Sarıkaya Oyla Caves Remaining Vivid


Çeltik district, which survived for centuries and left deep traces in history, was known as Akçaşehir in the past. Various kinds of rice are grown on its fertile soils; tables were adorned every day with the blessings of mother nature.

Çeltik, which gained the status of a district in 1990, is remembered as one of the places frequented by everyone who wants to enjoy the beauty of pastoral life. Çeltik, which opens its doors to its guests who want to witness the cooperation of village and city life, is ready to present its beauties worth seeing!

Continental climate is dominant in Çeltik; the winters are cold and rainy, and the summers are hot and dry. The district center is green with poplar and willow trees. The areas outside the district center are agricultural land. In addition, there are canal waters, which are the continuation of Lake Akgöl, and Lake Küçükhasan close to the district. There is a branch of Sakarya River in Gökpınar town of the district.

Çeltik in Antiquity

During the surveys carried out in 1997 around Çeltik, settlements were identified starting from the VI millennium BCE. Sherds belonging to the Chalcolithic Age were found at Üçkuyular Mound, the water pumping center of Küçük Hasan town between Yunak and Çeltik. Again, in Çatalak Mound on the east coast of Lake Akgöl near Küçük Hasan, pottery belonging to the Early Bronze Age, II millennium BC and Iron Age was found. There are Phrygian Tumuluses in the Höyükler locality of Gökpınar town of Çeltik.

In the information given about Çeltik, it is said that there is a Byzantine settlement in Akçaşehir. It is possible that there may be findings dating earlier to be revealed with the future surveys. Because Çeltik is a region close to Gordion, where the Phrygian civilization was born, and the surrounding Tumuli is a sign of this. On the other hand, many Roman period architectural fragments can be seen in Yukarı Piribeyli. In ancient times, Çeltik and Piribeyli were located on the roads from Ankara in the east to Amorium in the west. The region maintained its similar position in the relations between the Hittites and the Arzawa Confederation in the west in the second millennium BCE.

The lands of the district, which was located in the Phrygian region at the beginning of the 1st millennium BCE, later included Galatia region as a result of the Galatian migrations from Europe to the region in 280 BCE. Galatians, whose center was in Ankara, consisted of three large organizations. Tolistobogii from these tribes lived in the area between Lake Tuz and Sakarya (Sangarius) River. This sub-region of the Galatians was called Oxylon. While the Galatians were under the rule of the Seleucids before, they were defeated by Pergamon and after 190 BCE, Galatia was connected to the Pergamon Kingdom for a while. However, in the meantime, the priests of Galatian origin would own the region in Pessinus (Balahisar), the religious center of Phrygia, with the support of Pergamon and later Rome.

After establishing the province of Asia in Western Anatolia, which is the territory of the Kingdom of Pergamon, in 129 BCE, Roman activity in the region increased. Sovereignty struggles between Rome and Pontus are seen in the region until 84 BCE. In 64 BCE, the Roman consul Pompeius made administrative arrangements in Anatolia, and at the end of these arrangements, he left the region to Deiotaros, Tolistobog Bey, one of the Galatian tribes residing here. Until 25 BCE, the region was under the rule of the Galatians. As a result of the murder of Galatian Bey Amyntas by the Homanads in the Taurus Mountains in the south in 27 BCE, the region was connected to Rome as the Province of Galatia. Until the Byzantine Period, the region was known as Galatia. In particular, the roads passing through the region played a vital role in the struggles between the Byzantines and the Arabs over Afyon and Amorium.

Çeltik in the Ottoman Period

According to the sources, Çeltik was established around Akçaşehir and its history goes back to the time of Bayezid II. In 1490, it was stated that Akçaşehir was a district of Konya while recording the districts of Karaman province. In the Muhasebe-i Vilayet-i Karaman ve Rum Defteri of 1530, there are records of Akçaşehir mezra and Gökpınar village of Turgut karye. In the census commissioned by Selim II in 1566, it is stated that Çeltik is within the borders of Turgut kaza. Accordingly, there is a transition from Akçaşehir to Çeltik village.

Considering that the first repair of Çeltik Meydan Mosque was made in 1484, it can be accepted that the history of the district goes back even further. It was determined that the second repair was made in 1814 and the third repair was made in 1948. It has recently undergone another repair.