Karatay Madrasa, which is used as Konya Tile Works Museum, was built by Emir Celâleddin Karatay in 1251 during the reign of Seljuk Sultan İzzeddin Keykâvus II. The interior spaces of the madrasa are covered with mosaic and plate tiles. Its architect is estimated to be Muhammad bin Hawlan. The madrasa was built of stone walls and domes and vaults were built of brick in the "Madrasa with Closed Courtyard" group in order to teach hadith knowledge during the Seljuk period. It is built of Sille stone. It has one floor. The entrance is made of sky and white marble from the east.
The inscriptions about the construction of the madrasah on the door, which is a masterpiece example of the stonework of the Seljuk period, and the selected verses and hadiths on the other surfaces are engraved in relief. In the southwest cell of the madrasah there is the tomb of Celâleddin Karatay.
Karatay Madrasah, which has an important place in the tile workmanship of the Anatolian Seljuk period, was opened to visitors in 1955 as the "Tile Works Museum". In the museum, tiles and ceramics belonging to the Seljuk, Beyliks and Ottoman periods, especially the tiles of the Kubad-Âbâd Palace, plaster ornaments, cabinets, tile plates and oil lamps are exhibited.